Zunar statement: Judgement on Tony Pua, My challenge to travel ban hits huge obstacles
My challenge to travel ban hits huge obstacles
Malaysian Court of Appeal today ruled that the right of Malaysian citizens to travel overseas is at the absolute discretion of the government. In delivering decision on other activist (Tony Pua), the judges said the issuance of passports to citizens to travel abroad is a privilege accorded by the government.
Freedom of movement is a fundamental right to all citizens of Malaysia as stated clearly in Article 5 (1), Article 8 and Article 9 of the Federal Constitution. Fundamental is a hard fact, it is not open to interpretation.
It is also stated in The Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations. I do not know why judges choose grey when black and white is right in front of them.
I am not allowed to travel overseas now, after the travel ban imposed on me since June 2016. The Malaysian government imposed the travel ban on me since June 2016, immediately after I received “Cartoonist for Peace Award 2016” which was presented by Kofi Annan in Geneva. My challenge will be heard by the High Court on 25 September 2017. It will be difficult for me because in normal practice, the High Court will follow the decision by the Court of Appeal.
Nevertheless, I will keep fighting, fighting and fighting to get back my right to freedom of movement.
4th July 2017
Buy My Merchandise
- Kartun Anti Racism (KAR) RM30.00
- "Fight Through Cartoons" My story of harassment, intimidation and jail - Zunar. (English) RM59.90
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" Black Short Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM30.00
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" White Short Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM30.00
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" Black Long Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM35.00
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" White Long Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM35.00