ZUNAR GROUNDED BY MALAYSIAN POLICE CHIEF
As widely reported following an update on his Twitter feed, CRNI’s 2011 Courage in Editorial Cartooning Award winner Zulkiflee Anwar Haque – Zunar – was prevented from leaving Malaysia via Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Monday October 17th. He had intended to travel to Singapore to attend a forum.
Zunar went on to state that an immigration officer informed him of a travel ban, apparently in place since the 24th of June and instructed by the Royal Malaysian Police’s Inspector-General, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar.
As readers of our site will know, Zunar is contesting charges of sedition by the Malaysian government. He has endured more than a decade of harassment from officials with his office raided by the police on multiple occasions, his publications confiscated and website disrupted. This amounts to a war of attrition against him as time, resources and energy are consumed by a long and convoluted court case at one end and his livelihood is curtailed at the other.
Read more: http://cartoonistsrights.org/zunar-grounded-by-malaysian-police-chief/
Buy My Merchandise
- [Pre-Order] Politik Caca Marba - Kartun2 Era PN RM30.00
- Hello Mr. Peng Khia Nutt [Digital Book] RM10.00
Zunar Clearance Bundle Pack
- Kartun Anti Racism (KAR) RM30.00
- "Fight Through Cartoons" My story of harassment, intimidation and jail - Zunar. (English) RM59.90
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" Black Short Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM30.00