Amnesty: Drop the charges against political cartoonist Zunar – Amnesty International Australia
Zulkiflee Anwar Ulhaque, also known as “Zunar”, is facing nine simultaneous charges over tweets in February 2015 criticizing the judiciary.
If Zunar is convicted of more than one charge, he is likely to face a long term custodial sentence.
He has been charged under the Sedition Act, a colonial-era law that clamps down on freedom of expression under the guise of protecting national security and deterring racial or religious unrest.
Zunar has already been detained under this law, most recently in November, and five of his cartoon books have been banned by the Malaysian Government on the grounds that their content is “detrimental to public order”.
As a vocal critic of the government while at home and overseas, Zunar has also been banned from travelling as of October. This was something he was freely able to do, even after being charged. No lawful reason has been given.
This is unacceptable. Ask the Malaysian authorities to drop the charges against Zunar and to repeal the laws which restrict the right to freedom of expression.
Update 14/12/16: Zunar’s application to challenge the constitutionality of his sedition charges has been successful and the Sessions Court is due to hear his case on 24 January. Please keep calling for all charges against Zunar to be dropped!
Buy My Merchandise
- Zunar Clearance Bundle Pack
- Kartun Anti Racism (KAR) RM30.00
- "Fight Through Cartoons" My story of harassment, intimidation and jail - Zunar. (English) RM59.90
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" Black Short Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM30.00
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" White Short Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM30.00
- "Even My Pen Has A Stand" Black Long Sleeve T-Shirt by Zunar RM35.00