A Malaysian Political Cartoonist on Facing His Fears, and Prison, for Art
HONG KONG — When protesters disrupted an art exhibition by Zulkiflee Anwar Ulhaque, a political cartoonist, at the George Town Literary Festival in Malaysia on Saturday, he assumed that the police would want his help identifying those responsible.

Instead, said Mr. Zulkiflee, who goes by the name Zunar, he was questioned by the police, detained for a day and informed that he was under investigation for producing cartoons that purportedly defamed Prime Minister Najib Razak.

It was not the first time Mr. Zulkiflee, who already faces nine charges of sedition and is barred from leaving the country, has courted trouble with his pen.
Continue reading…


[Video] Malaysian cartoonist Zunar arrested as PM Najib Razak continues free speech crackdown
See video here…

3. darylcagle.com

My Malaysian cartoonist buddy, Zunar, is suffering again from the thin-skinned government thugs. Zunar has been butting heads with humorless, Malaysian authorities for years.
Continue reading…

4. The Guardian

Malaysian cartoonist arrested for criticism of prime minister Najib Razak.

A Malaysian cartoonist known for lampooning the scandal-plagued prime minister and his family has been arrested for sedition, a move denounced as the latest sign of pressure on government critics.

Zulkifli Anwar Ulhaque – who goes by the pen name Zunar – was arrested in Penang state where he was participating in a literary festival.

Penang district police chief, Mior Faridalathrash Wahid, said Zunar was arrested “under the sedition act”. He declined to give details.

Continue reading…

5. Index on Censorship

Malaysia: Cartoonist Zunar arrested on charges of sedition

Malaysian cartoonist Zulkiflee Anwar Ulhaque, aka Zunar, was arrested on 26 November under the Sedition Act for his cartoons which are deemed insulting to the country’s prime minister Najib Razak.

The artist was questioned under the penal code under suspicion of intentionally humiliating a person. He was released the next day.

“Even though I have been released, the harassment from the Malaysian government is far from over. I have to report back to the police in Penang on 27 December 2016 for further investigation. And yesterday (26 November), two peeple who assisted me in organizing the exhibition were also called up by the police for questioning,” the cartoonist said in a statement.